Why is Digital Marketing the job of the future?
As we all know the internet is continually expanding in what it’s capable of. Not to mention every single one of us is glued to our electronic devices. Therefore, in order for a business to truly thrive, it needs to be found online. With the recent pandemic shutting everything down, it became extremely apparent that people are capable of working online in numerous different industries.
Due to the increased amount of individuals utilizing the internet, digital marketing has never been more important. More individuals in this field is needed and it’s a career that evolves along with the internet therefore it is somewhat of a job for the future.
Types of Digital Marketing
Well Digital Marketing is an umbrella that encompasses numerous different areas. It’s important to know which one suits you best based on your skillset and expertise. This article will go over all the areas that Digital Marketing encompasses and help you determine if you suit these areas.
- Social Media:
- This area of marketing is probably the most sought after by millennials today. It consists of a paid and organic portion.
- The person seeking out this type of job needs to have knowledge of all platforms, current trends, target markets for each platform, and most importantly a creative mind.
- This area of digital marketing requires someone who is keen on learning and consistently updating your methods through research.
- This person should have an eye for details, understand how the process works, interlinking, site structuring, and basic coding
- This area also sometimes consists of content writing/creation.
- This area is for someone who has an interest in Google Ads.
- This person needs similar skills to those above as well as having knowledge of how the system works and sticking to budgets and deadlines
- This job involves constant monitoring as well.
- Web Development:
- This area is the basis of all digital marketing. Without a good website none of these other divisions function the way they are supposed to.
- This person needs design, UX/UI, coding, content writing and SEO knowledge to work in this area.
- Public Relations:
- Online Public Relations differs from other types of PR, this is about knowing what sites and areas would be best for your client to be seen on.
- This position would require you to have good research and personal connection skills.
These are obviously short versions of what is required for each position but it gives you a good idea as to what options you have within this field.
The Typical Career Path
Digital Marketing has its own unique career development path, this is just based on what is commonly done and in no way the end-all be-all path in this career. The usual first step is either to start as an intern or a junior employee. Then as you continue to show your potential you get promoted to a manager and so on. From there the choice is yours to continue working with an agency or to work in house for a brand or create your own agency.
Working for an agency allows you exposure to all areas of digital marketing whereas working as an inhouse marketer for a brand usually limits you to one area. This is good for those who know exactly what area they want to work in and to hone in on those skills specifically. An agency also lets you work with different types of clients whereas inhouse you work on one brand only.
Where and How Can I Break into the industry?
If you have assessed this is a field that you would like to pursue, the first piece of advice is to learn as much as you possibly can before entering the job market. Once you enter the market, search for internships and prove that you are hardworking and willing to learn as much as possible.
We here at Simply the Best Digital have open minded and hardworking individuals who work to gain the best results for our clients. Think you are a good fit for our company? Send us an email with your resume and a cover letter explaining why you think you are a good fit. You never know what might happen.